Sunday, January 22, 2012

Big Banding and Swinging the Night Away

I just got back from yet another trip. This one was pure fun.  My favorite hotel, the Grove Park Inn, was having it's Annual Big Band Weekend.  We had never gone but we got a great rate and we love Asheville and it was a chance to dress up, so heck yeah.


Being January, it was great to snuggle in front of the Great Hall fireplace for a while.


This even was so much fun.  It's a formal event and the Saturday night dance has the Glenn Miller orchestra playing.  So amazing music in a beautiful setting. It is tied in with the USO which really added to the feeling of stepping back in time a bit.


And, there were some serious outfits and some seriously good dancers.  Of course, the age range skewed mostly older but these people know what they are doing on a dance floor.  (Fun Fact: I grew up traveling on cruise ships and have done a fair amount of dancing to Big Band over my life).



The fashion was formal but was interpreted all along the Big Band/Swing timeline.  I saw some great 40s fashion, beautiful ball gowns and some slinky backless numbers.  I went a bit more 1920s inspired in a beaded Vivinne Tam dress, while the husband wore his tux, red plaid bow tie and vintage owl cufflinks that I found for him.



I wore my Oh, Deer! Jamocha art deco-y t-straps along with black fishnets.


Here are some better shots of the shoes and dress details.










I definetly want to go back next year, but I think we need to take a few dance lessons first.  I did not get to dance nearly as much as I would have liked to.  I also think I want to go for more of a long swirly dress next time.  They played a number of waltzes and I think the music and a long 30s "Thin Man" era dress would be great.

And while our trip was brief, we did manage to eat at two of our favorite places in Asheville.  For lunch on Saturday we ate at Chai Pani, which is this casual India street food (or chaat) restaurant.  It is a savory paradise.  We got samosas, an uttapam with masala potatoes, okra fries and bhel puri (a snack mix with puffed rice, cilantro, onions, tamarind and more).



Then for dinner we went to Plant, our new favorite restaurant in the world.  I'm totally serious.  It's amazing and so good we were back there 15 hours later for brunch. Between the pumpkin seed crusted seitan, the amazing soup (always get the soup), the best cinnamon roll I've ever had and a cannoli, I'm stuffed. 


Oh.  In addition to getting a huge scramble and home fries (SL got the biscuits with homemade sausage and gravy) I got a big bowl of cheese grits. And did I mention that all of this is vegan.  Yeah.  It's amazing.


So now it's time to unpack and meals we have to make ourselves.

5 comments:

Tammi V.V. said...

Love your blog, Poochie! Found you via Bye Bye Pie, and look forward to reading your archives.

Jennifer Vanderbeek said...

Those shoes are amazing! (stopping by via Bye Bye Pie)

Mary Lou said...

Aaaand another Pie-er checks in!
You are a girl after my own heart, Poochie!
LOVE the Big Band sound and styles of that era-what a wonderful weekend!
The Indian food and brekkie look delicious-
Fabulous dress and shoes!

Designer Shoes Online said...

these shoes so beautiful and looking good.

Lara said...

You look gorgeous! I think it's awesome that you went to this event. I'm sure the older folks were thrilled to have you there too! That food looks so good. I'm drooling!