Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Inherent Value

I like all three of these shoes but I do have a problem with them. With the economy the way it is, you would think you would see a bit of a correctionn in the prices of some luxury goods. But if anything, I'm seeing prices go up, up, up!

Now maybe design houses and luxury retailers are buffering for the inevitable prices reductions that seem almost ordained but I just can't understand some of these prices!

Example one are these Lanvin oxford pumps. Satin, patent and tweed. They're cute but $1205?



And I love the paillettes on these Pierre Hardy sandals but I don't get the $1415 pricetag.



Then again, I guess it's a personal judgement call. Or maybe it's the $1000+ barrier. Because when I see these Alexander McQueen penny loafer heels, at $830, I think, well... maybe they're kind of worth it.



Of course, I haven't tracked these down in my size so, I'm safe for the moment.

If you had the money, would you pay the retail price for any of these shoes?

5 comments:

Birdie! said...

The price tag makes me wonder just how inflated those prices really are based on the shoe. You can find good quality pieces in similar styles for a fraction of those prices - why are they marked so high?

(I'm not advocating buying knockoffs, but over $1000 seems steep!)

Anonymous said...

Those prices are ridiculous for the materials in the shoes. Swarovski encrusted or super fine detail, then maybe. I see a Pierre Hardy DIY in your future! They are fantastic!

kristophine said...

No. Yesterday's shoe, though--yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

I think you're right about the psychological barrier at a thousand dollars, though. I only ever met one over-$1000 shoe I actually felt was worth it--an Alexander McQueen boot that was obviously incredibly detailed and so beautiful it made my heart hurt a little. I still think about it from time to time.

Emma Lilly said...

I love the ideas of them and maybe I am to frugal but I have a hard time spending that much on a pair of shoes. Hell my wedding dress and shoes cost less than that. If I was rich... maybe.

Intrinsically Florrie said...

Those Alexander McQueen ones are gorgeous!

Hmm, not sure about the pricing, but in pounds- I think £200-400 for a pair of good quality, fabulous shoes is a good investment. For something even more fabulous I would go up to £600, maybe £800 for a jaw-dropping one.

But then I got my very favourite pair of shoes- beautiful Prada flat sandals (ss08)- in the sale for around £80!! Bargain or what... They've got all these details on as well, so much work in them.
Florrie x