Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hey, Sparkler! What's So Great About You?

I think I'm ready for another Sparkler!!!!



Today's Sparkler is a new friend who is very inspirational to me. Miss Mmmeg (follow her updates on Twitter for info and smart dialog) continues to grow and inform on some of her favorite topics - creating a value driven life, being frugal, minimizing waste and mindless consumption.

Plus she has chickens too!



But while I know she's great, let's hear what she thinks:


How's this?

* I have a wonderful husband, whom I love very, very much. We've been married 7 1/2 years (we got married young).

* I'm definitely a nerd. I've had a 4.0 since middle school -- even through college.

* We have two chickens in our urban backyard: Cleo and Chloe. Best eggs ever! And they're super sweet pets.

* I have 5 cats, go ga-ga over kittens, know the names of my neighbors' cats but not most of my neighbors, and talk to cats I meet on walks. Fortunately, my husband shares the same obsession. We're very proud of our feline kids.

* I have a deepening appreciation for "weeds", now that I am learning about edible and medicinal plants that grow locally.

* I consider myself very green-minded. It's hard not to be when you start wondering if it's safe to eat normally edible plants growing wild in your own neighborhood.

* I am proud of my frugality and resourcefulness -- but I am not "cheap" by any means, or even a tightwad. My motto is quality, not quantity.

* We don't have any televisions. We watch stuff online & borrow DVDs from the library. We love how convenient and clutter free it is.

* My mom thinks our house is "Spartan" but we love it like that. We've worked hard to declutter our house and our lives.

* Despite being frugal and rather minimalist, I do have a large shoe collection with many brightly colored shoes. I love color and pretty things in general.

* I am a very loyal friend -- perhaps too loyal sometimes. And I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and understand where they're coming from, even playing Devil's Advocate for strangers online.

* My husband and I both sing in a college chorus just for fun.

* I'm a musician. I have about a dozen instruments, though my main instrument is the saxophone, which I played in college for a while as a jazz major.

* I graduated college with a degree in Latin, Spanish, linguistics, and foreign language education. I especially loved classes in sociolinguistics and what I learned in college definitely helps me in business and life in general.

* I hate lawns -- especially ones that obviously take a lot of pesticides, herbicides, and gas (via lawnmowers) to maintain.

* I'm very proud of my father, even though he passed away when I was 6. He was wounded at the Battle of Normandy in WWII, helped organize many things in my home community, and had crosses burnt on his lawn and worse because he was so involved in the civil rights movement. Big shoes to fill!

- XOXO


Okay... who's next?!? Come on, Sparkler,
Spill it!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Thanks so much for asking me to do this! I feel very honored and it also made me see myself in a new light. Lots of love! Mwah!