Sunday, May 24, 2009

Minor Modifications

Since it's been a while since I posted one and the some of my favorite ladies on Twitter were talking about embellishing their sneaks, I thought I would share an old shoe customization project with you.


This was a pretty small and fast one so I didn't take step-by-step pictures but I can describe it pretty easily. Basically I just added some sparkle to my step.

I found some sneakers that I liked that would lend themselves easily to a crystal pattern. The Converse-y ones actually came from the Target kids section a year or two ago. Their canvas so good for gluing on and had a stitched wave element on the sides.



All I needed to do was to get flat backed Swarovski crystals from Michael's (arts & crafts supply store), fabric glue and tweezers. I got a few colors of pink and clear in regular and a tiny size. I also bought some cute oversize laces in white with pink polka-dots.

Then I just glued the crystals on. This whole project took almost no time at all.




On the back tab I did a pattern with clear crystals and some randomly placed pink ones.





Insides -




Here's where the small crystals came into play... Yes, I actually did put my name on them in tiny crystals. Yes, I am ridiculous.




So there you go. A pretty simple project. One thing to note. I should try other glues because every once in a while a crystal will fall off. I just end up gluing on a replacement.
I wear these to work and to walk around. They're a lot of fun, extremely sparkly in person and, I have to admit, little girls adore them.

4 comments:

WendyB said...

Awwwww! I love the name. That's a cute touch!

Leia said...

Wow! You did such an excellent job. I have a pair of sparkly sneaks that aren't DIY but were bought in Sicily and I never wear them (they are sequin-encrusted and I don't really know what to wear them with!) but I might just have to break them out...

Natalie said...

very cute! i just put star studs all over my converse!

http://natalieinboots.blogspot.com/

Frankie said...

Oh my god! These are so good! I'd buy poochie shoes x