Monday, June 9, 2008

Ottoman Empire Design

I'm not sure what I was looking for when I stumbled upon these amazing boots, but I think I was looking up information on fashion influenced by the Ottoman Empire.

Typically suzanis are used in large fabrics or rugs but I am quite entranced with these suzani boots.



The mid-calf ones are just gorgeous but I think I might prefer the drama of the knee-high versions. What's cool is that each pair of boots is patterned uniquely just like the rugs.




One of the main trips I'm hoping to do very soon is a trip to Turkey, especially Istanbul (not Constantinople). The cities are so filled with history and culture that I'm afraid I would want to bring back everything I see.

These boots are inexpensive for the amount of work that goes into them - $245 and $275 respectively. I'm keeping these on my list for future purchase.

3 comments:

WendyB said...

Wow! They're beautiful. I would definitely wear them.

Anonymous said...

I know where you can buy them! It is in Istanbul,
Sultan House, Divanyolu Cad, 60 - Sultanahmet. tel+90 212 511 97 45
Very good price around €60 euros.
Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Yes in Istanbul I saw these boots first time after we visited an archeological museum, I regret till now that I haven't bought them.

Then I saw them in a unique little store at Frauenhoferstr. at the tram 27 station! Well and these were exactly the shoes from Istanbul years ago!
I was very happy this day:-)